In Kind Direct, a registered charity, distributes surplus product from manufacturers and retailers to UK charities working at home and abroad. As well as helping charities, our work has a positive impact on the environment by diverting goods that might otherwise go to waste as landfill or external recycling, generating greenhouse gases.
We recognise our obligation to comply with the law and to carry out our work in an as environmentally sound manner as possible. This policy is part of our commitment to minimising the negative impact of our operations on the environment to as low a level as is practically and economically feasible.
Our direct impact on the environment primarily relates to:
Our energy, material and water use at our premises in London and business travel by staff.
Our logistics providers’ environmental performance in relation to energy, material and water usage at the warehouse and transport emissions.
In addition, we can indirectly impact the environment by:
Helping companies to reduce their negative environmental impact by providing a positive alternative to landfill and engendering a wider culture of best practice around waste
Encouraging charity partners and other stakeholders to act in an environmentally responsible way
- Monitor and report our carbon emissions and resource usage
- Strive to minimise our energy and water usage, reduce waste and to minimise emissions from business travel
- Work in partnership with our logistics suppliers to help minimise carbon emissions in our supply chain through, for example, encouraging the use of back loading and efficient use of warehouse space
- Work with our landlord to continually improve our environmental performance at our office premises
- Encourage and support staff to take environmentally sustainable decisions and actions in and out of the workplace
- Use our influence to encourage charities, existing and prospective company donors and other stakeholders to take action on environmental sustainability issues. Consider our environmental impact when starting new activities
This policy is available on our website and in our staff handbook. It will be regularly reviewed and amended as required.