Head of Marketing
In Kind Direct has been a pioneer of product giving for social good for 21 years, the leading UK authority in the consumer product giving sector, with a growing international network.
Our model, based on a visionary idea of our Founder, HRH The Prince of Wales, involves manufacturers and retailers donating their new, surplus consumer products to us, and in turn, using an integrated ecommerce platform, we distribute the products to the doors of charities; supporting more than 9,000 so far. From essential toiletries and cleaning supplies to office and sports equipment, cooking utensils to clothes, tools and toys – these products are desperately needed to run charities’ services and for them to give to their beneficiaries.
It is clear that In Kind Direct’s original vision has never been more relevant. With the continuing rise in demand for our service providing goods and the emerging generation’s passion for social justice and commitment to sustainability and environmental issues, our ability to engage with more manufacturers and retailers to meet the ever-growing demands of our recipient charities has never been more critical, or of more interest to the public.
We are looking for an experienced Head of Marketing with the ability and creativity to take on these challenges to drive awareness, reputation and growth in the coming years.
Working closely with other members of the Senior Management Team, the Head of Marketing will be responsible for developing and delivering a fully-integrated marketing strategy and plan. Supporting all aspects of In Kind Direct’s work, the HoM will also be responsible for the delivery and upkeep of the charity’s website, on-line catalogue, ecommerce campaigns and social media channels. It is essential therefore, that the right candidate will have extensive digital marketing, ecommerce and analytics experience as well as demonstrating strong leadership capability and persuasive story-telling skills.
Contract: Permanent, full-time 35 hours per week
Location: The City, London
- Create, develop and implement a fully-integrated marketing strategy: the operational marketing plan and the internal and external marketing strategy (to all key stakeholder audiences), including the charity’s social media channels
- With the unique challenges of charity e-commerce, use your analytical and innovation expertise to improve the ‘customer experience’ driving repeat ‘purchases’ and generating additional spend
- Liaise with the Charities’ Team and Logistics Team, to develop and support their initiatives regarding pricing, incentives and promotions
- Oversee the internal and external use of branding guidelines – ensuring consistency in the look and feel of all collateral materials, events and campaigns – protecting In Kind Direct’s corporate identity and positioning.
- Collaborate in the development and delivery of the business development strategy (product donors) as well as marketing support for the fundraising and expansion plans of In Kind Direct International
- Support business development activities through multi-channel campaigns, engaging with relevant trade associations and industry networks.
- Ensure all marketing materials – print and online – are up-to-date, relevant with captivating stories, designing new materials as needed. This requires ability to write compelling copy and design clean, high quality layouts
- Manage all content, design and backend management of the consumer/corporate website as well as in the on-line catalogue
- Create and develop external events and initiatives – Roadshow, Donor Events, Charity Engagement etc.
- Work collaboratively on the production of the charity and donor annual impact surveys, reports and other one-off publications
- Monitor the effectiveness of all marketing initiatives and activities, providing ROI and engagement measurement.
- Manage and monitor the allocation of the marketing budget
- Preparation of reporting for quarterly board papers
- Manage the organisation and presentation of the Marketing Committee meetings (quarterly), including preparation of agenda, matters arising, quarterly reports and forthcoming quarter briefing
- Monitor, measure and maximise ROI of all marketing activity/initiatives
- Contribute to the production of the annual report
- Management of the marketing team manager and design intern, including performance reviews
- As a member of the Senior Management Team – contribute to the overall operational strategy of the organisation
- The charity works with an external PR agency, and has a part-time PR strategic adviser. The successful candidate will contribute to discussions around the overall PR strategy but is not responsible for the execution or delivery of PR campaigns. Marketing & PR strategies to be fully integrated across all campaigns
- Ability and enthusiasm for both taking a strategic overview and working operationally which is required given the small size of the charity – 19 people
- Ability to lead the marketing team, bringing innovative, creative ideas to the organisation; inspiring other team members with fresh ideas, stories and initiatives and an overall review of the way the charity approaches its marketing
- A broad, commercial marketing/communications background, with specific understanding of digital marketing and e-commerce
- KPI/ROI orientated individual, comfortable with analytics with experience of measuring the effectiveness of marketing initiatives and activities
- Ability to present/communicate strategic and creative ideas to internal and external audiences and at very senior levels in a confident and eloquent manner.
- Ability to originate clear, compelling content suitable for multiple audiences, telling the In Kind Direct story, cross-platform
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks, keep calm under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- University degree or equivalent and experience of leading the marketing function